This Act was brought on the statute book, to implement the constitutional mandate of providing equal justice and free legal aid to the economically disabled.
Legal service include the rendering of any service in the conduct of a case or legal proceeding before any Court/Authority/Tribunal and the giving of advice on a legal matter. these are provided by way of:
Providing Advocates at States Expenses; Paying Court fee on behalf of the eligible persons; Bearing Expenses regarding preparation of documents; Paying expenses for the summoning of witnesses: and Paying other incidental expenses connected with litigation.
For obtaining free legal services, in the eligible persons many contact Legal Services Authorities in every State, District and Taluk/Mandal.
· Chief justice of State High Court is ex-officio Patron-in -Chief of State Legal Services Authority.
· Serving or retired judge of State High Court is executive Chairman of State Legal Services Authority.
· A member of Higher Judicial Service is Member-Secretary of State Legal Services Authority.
· District Judge of every District is ex-officio Chairman of District Legal Services Authority.
· Senior Civil Judges of every Taluk/Mandal is ex-officio Chairman of Taluk Legal Services Committee.
This publication is an encyclopaedia in itself and the first eommentary to include besides the Act and the Central Rules the State Rules and Regulations.